nanog mailing list archives

Re: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

From: Ross Hosman <rosshosman () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

Not pointing any fingers but many of you think these
small ISP's are just going to die off instead of
adapt. Wireless is becoming a better and more reliable
technology that in the future will be able to provide
faster service then FTTH. I know of atleast one small
ISP in Michigan that went from dial-up to deploying
wireless. With WiMAX coming out I think you will see a
number of smaller ISPs switching to it as a service.
It is also much cheaper to deploy a wireless network.

Me personally, I think wireless is the future for
residential internet/tv/phone.

Ross Hosman
Charter Communcations

--- Steve Sobol <sjsobol () JustThe net> wrote:

Fred Heutte wrote:
(1) There will be a market for independent ISPs
as
long CLECs

I think a more appropriate term would be ALEC

(anti-competitive local exchange carrier)

...That having been said, the problem with the
small
guys providing access is
they can't generally achieve the economies of
scale
that allow them to compete
with the big guys.

I'm on a Charter cablemodem, 3mbps down x 256kbps
up, $39.95/month. Verizon is
building out FTTH in this area and they're going
be offering 5x2 for $39.95
or 10x5 for $49.95, IIRC. Those are all
residential
prices, but Charter's
actually pretty competitive on business rates too.

And yes, there are people who value service over
price, but the price
differential is only going to get worse.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA -
http://JustThe.net/

     --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"