nanog mailing list archives

Re: Underscores in host names

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:54:08 -0400

David Conrad wrote:

1) Squid/Squid proxy from two people (although there wasn't any
indication of the actual issue, presumably Squid won't be able to
contact the host to cache the content?)

the resolver library barfs up an error

I suspect the rest of the jihad against heathen characters such as
"_" should probably be redirected to namedroppers so I won't comment
further.

Not unless namedroppers is authoritative for /etc/hosts now too.

That's the whole point here--DNS may be more powerful than what the
hostname syntax rules allow, but the mere existence of that capability has
zero bearing on the canonocial syntax rules.