nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:16:05 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:03:57AM -0500, Olsen, Jason wrote:
You must not have used it much in those 20 years. I can
definitely say worms, trojans, spam, phishing, ddos, and
other attacks is up several orders of magnitude in those 20
years.

The userbase has also increased by several orders of magnitude beyond
that.

1% "bad" traffic at 100 users: 1
1% "bad" traffic at 1,000,000 users: 10,000

And this raises an absolutely excellent stand-alone point that seems to
me to be something that netops types should be keeping uppermost in
their minds:

        When a problem gets big enough, it's a *different* problem,
        not just a bigger problem.

An analogy to this (actually, a result of it) is the difference between
the office policies in a 5-person company and a 500-person one, or a
town of 10,000 and a city of 400,000.

This seems to bear on almost everything I've seen said in this thread
(which is the award winner for the year so far...)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me