nanog mailing list archives

RE: Networking Pearl Harbor in the Making

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:11:52 -0500

On Monday 07 Nov 2005 3:42 pm, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

It's an argument for vendor diversity.

No it is an argument for code base diversity (or better
software engineering).

Vendor diversity doesn't necessarily give you this, and you
can get this with
one vendor.

How so? Haven't we recently seen an across the board bug in
multiple version of $vendor code?

Vendor diversity might be a good idea, but for other reasons.

Sure. There are more reasons than one to do it. I was specifically
pointing out that code diversity is a good one - and not forgetting
associated cost and economic impacts as mentioned in a later followup.

-M<