nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [Arch-econ] Vint an interview you did with me in 1997 is being quoted on Nanog as reason to support the current so callednet neutrality bill

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:17:32 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Gordon Cook wrote:
Please note also Vint's remark:
If ISPs were to inspect packets and interfere with those of
competing application providers (voice, video), I would consider
that a violation of the principle of network neutrality.

Would packet classification and per-hop queuing of different DSCP classes
be considered "interference" in this world?  What if a VOIP provider
didn't want to pay for its packets to go in an EF queue, so the network
processed the packets in the normal queue, is that a violation of your
principles?