nanog mailing list archives

Re: IAB and "private" numbering

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:12:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 04:40:20PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Tony Tauber wrote:

The registries (including IANA as their root) should provide just
that, a place to register the use of number resources to avoid collisions.
I'm thinking that "private" number spaces should probably be used
advisedly if not deprecated outright.

RIR's are taking heat (or some finger pointing atleast) for allocations
that don't appear in the public route table. There are many reasons why

i rant, yet again.

doh!

      what is this "the" public routing table?  where does one
      get it?  in my 25 years of networking I have NEVER seen it.
      i am convinced that it is a fictional as the "public" Internet.
      or the "DFZ" ... they do not exist, except in the fevered
      imaginations of marketing droids... and the virus is more virulent
      than the H5N1 strain.  Note that it affects normally sane engineers
      who KNOW better.

'public routing table' == Internet

nothing more, nothing less. this is distinct from SIPRnet and some
portions of NIPRnet, or other 'private' networks out there.

      back in the SRInic days, there was the "connected" and "unconnected"
      databases.  ... to mark prefixes that were connected to the ARPAnet
      and those that were in "private" networks, like CSnet, NSFnet, and
      enterprise networks.  Tony is right in this respect, RFC1918 space
      is a feeble attempt to get around/past the lack of address space
      that became apparent in IPv4 ... with IPv6, there is no real
      reason to try and recreate private space (leaving aside renumbering)

I don't believe there is a 'rfc1918' in v6 (yet), I agree that it doesn't
seem relevant, damaging perhaps though :)

      IMHO, assigning globally unique prefixes to those who utilize IP
      protocols, regardsless of whom else they choose to "see" via routing
      is the right course.  every other attempt to split the assignements
      into "us" vs. "them" has had less than satisfactory results.

agreed