nanog mailing list archives

Re: What do we mean when we say "competition?"

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:11:47 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Owen DeLong wrote:
Most places have no fiber "last-mile".  Some do.  Of those
that do, I know that many were installed by cable companies
and that there are in many of those places utility taxes
that are being collected and passed along to at least
partially fund said buildout.  I know that Comcast
signed a huge sweet-heart deal with the city of San Jose,
for example before they started tearing up my neighborhood.
They seem to have laid interduct to the curb and co-ax
to the home.  I haven't seen them bring any fiber anywhere
yet, but, I presume that's what the interduct is for at
some point.

So I'm confused.  San Jose is doing exactly what you are advocating.  San
Jose has decided to use taxpayer funds to build a city-owned fiber optic
conduit system it will own and lease to telecommunication companies and
other users.  Palo Alto also spent a lot of its taxpayers funds to build
a city-owned fiber optic system.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/budget/
http://www.sanjoseca.gov/budget/FY0506/proposedCapital/10.pdf
See Fiber Optics Development Fund

But what does that have to do with funding ILEC facilities?

As I recall, despite spending a lot of taxpayer money, the cities couldn't
convince the ILEC to use the city-owned fiber optic facilities.  The ILECs
built and use its own facilities, without taxpayer funds.  Heck, until
1982, they wouldn't even sell you a phone.  The phones were stamped
property of the Bell System, not for sale.

I'm not sure if there is really a natural monopoly.  There are multiple
wires to most houses and through most public rights of way.  The fact that
there a damage between different provider facilities when they dig in
a right of way is evidence that right of ways contain multiple providers.