nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 news

From: "K. Scott Bethke" <scott () carpathiahost com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:30:18 -0400

I can't speak for the others but he.net doesn't seem to interested in
customers making use of their "dual stack" network.  We looked into
getting IPv6 space from them to go with our IPv4 assignments for a
couple of racks of servers in one of their datacenters.  They wanted to
double the monthly fee for data and drop a second v6 only port to our
racks, not my idea of a "dual stack network".  Needless to say, we do
not have native IPv6, a few of our customers that desired it are using
HE's free tunnel broker service though.

It is possible that they deployed a second group of routers to do ipv6
rather than bet it all on a dual stack.  Heck I've seen engineers at various
places digging 7507's out of the dumpster in hopes of getting their company
going on v6.  HE.NET has been doing ipv6 for a long time now so it is (also)
possible that their deployment pre-dates a 75% bug free IOS version for dual
stack.  I can't comment on any sort of pricing going on.  Rumor has it that
some transit and hosting companies are indeed selling IPv6 today (and
surprisingly enough actually have customers buying it).

-Scott