nanog mailing list archives

Re: Proxy/Caching Servers

From: Joe Abley <jabley () isc org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:16:28 -0400

On 7-Apr-2006, at 12:06, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 04:41:26PM -0400, Alain Hebert wrote:
   Hummm.... squid.

With a touch of haproxy... (Or for those with money.... ServerIron's)

Do Foundry ServerIrons proxy and cache, or just switch?

ServerIrons don't cache. They can be used for transparent redirection of requests to a cache (I think), and to support multiple caches in a load-sharing configuration (for sure). Other vendors of similar products are cisco (formerly Arrowpoint) and Nortel (formerly Alteon).

If you're looking for this kind of fanciness in your switches, you should also check out products by f5 networks. I have never used their switches, but I heard some impressive stories about what you can do with them the other week in Wellington.

Joe