nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is your ISP Influenza-ready?

From: "Rusty Dekema" <rdekema () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:33:36 -0400

On 4/18/06, Crist Clark <crist.clark () globalstar com> wrote:
Uhh... I think, I _hope_ that we are talking about 40% of your
workforce NOT SHOWING UP TO THE OFFICE for days or weeks, not
dropping dead, not even necessarily getting sick.

A 40% mortality rate among otherwise healthy adults, and we have much
bigger issues to worry about.

Indeed. Estimates I've read on CNN in the past few days (I know, I
know) say that if H5N1 were to be approximately as virulent and deadly
as the 1918 flu, we would be
looking at 90 million infected and 1.9 million dead in the US.

-Rusty