nanog mailing list archives

Re: SORBS Contact

From: Nachman Yaakov Ziskind <awacs () ziskind us>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:24:53 -0400

Ken Simpson wrote (on Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:09:33AM -0700):

Weighing in with an opinion, as bad as blacklists *may be*, at least
they let the sender know something's up. Not in an artful way, to be
sure, but they give some notice. The sender can do _something_,
including dropping his association with the recipient b/c it's not worth
his time and trouble. Blackholing email because you think it's spam, OTOH,
is pure evil.

Host type can only be used as a relatively small weighting factor
toward blocking connections. However in the absence of any other
reputation data on a particular IP, it's a safe way to trigger
throttling or rate limiting.

IMHO receivers have a right to filter traffic in any way that reduces
abuse while serving the needs of their end users. There is a lot of
pressure from end users and legitimate email senders to ensure that
whatever blocking strategy is in use ensures that the good stuff is
not blocked.

I agree that IP by itself is of limited usefullness. My main point was
that, however you came to your decision ("today I'm not accepting SMTP
from hosts with the number nine in their IP"), you should reject mail
you don't want, not accept it and toss it.

--
Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM       awacs () ziskind us
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law           http://ziskind.us