nanog mailing list archives

Re: Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

From: Simon Leinen <simon () limmat switch ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:50:27 +0100

Lionel Elie Mamane writes:
On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:44:37AM +0000, Jeroen Massar wrote:
That said ISP's should simply have a package saying "50GiB/month
costs XX euros, 100GiB/month costs double" etc. As that covers what
their transits are charging them, nothing more, nothing less.

I thought IP transit was mostly paid by "95% percentile highest speed
over 5 minutes" or something like that these days? Meaning that ISP's
costs are maximised if everyone maxes our their line for the same 6%
of the time over the month (even if they don't do anything the rest of
the time), and minimised if the usage pattern were nicely spread out?

Yes.  With Jeroen's suggestion, there's a risk that power-users'
consumption will only be reduced for off-peak hours, and then the ISP
doesn't save much.  A possible countermeasure is to not count off-peak
traffic (or not as much).  Our charging scheme works like that, but
our customers are mostly large campus networks, and I don't know how
digestible this would be to retail ISP consumers.
--
Simon.