nanog mailing list archives

Re: AW: Odd policy question.

From: William Yardley <nanog () veggiechinese net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:03:45 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:47:48PM -0800, David W. Hankins wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:09:51AM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:

it is a best practice to separate authoritative and recursive
servers.

why?

I'm not sure anyone can answer that question.  I certainly can't.
Not completely, anyway.  There are too many variables and motivations.
[...]
Well, RFC2010 section 2.12 hints at cache pollution attacks, and that's
been discussed already.  Note that I can't seem to find the same claim
in RFC2870, which obsoletes 2010 (and the direction against recursive
service is still there).

In an environment where customers may be able to add zones (such as a
web-hosting environment), not separating the two may cause problems when
local machines resolve off of the authoritative nameservers. This could
be due to someone maliciously or accidentally adding a domain they don't
control, or simply to someone setting up their domain prior to changing
over the nameservers.