nanog mailing list archives

Re: AW: Odd policy question.

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:20:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:
Let me attempt to bring this back to the policy question.

Does someone have the *right* to put one of your IP addresses as an NS
record for their domain even if you do not agree?

Registrar policies imply that this is so, and has been this way for a
long time.

Once upon a time, registrar/er policies did NOT allow this.  NSI used to
have "GUARDIAN" which controlled who could register domain names
listing name servers with your IP addresses.  Unfortunately, NSI never
completely implemented guardian; and it pretty much completely
disappeared after the trademark lawyers took over.