nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Addresses from a different region

From: David Ulevitch <davidu () everydns net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:41:29 -0800

On Jan 19, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:11:18 GMT, Sam Stickland said:
I can't of course start naming our clients. I could harp on about how they are a multinational, running legimate operations and blah blah blah.. But you'd only have my word for it. So you'll just have to take my word for the fact that we run an operational that comes down hard on nefrarious
activities. Sorry.

Well, Sam's organization, if it was black hat, *could* just have hijacked the space and announced it anyhow. The fact he asked on NANOG means either:

1) He's on the level.
2) He's a really stupid black hat.
3) He's a really clever black hat applying misdirection of some sort. ;)

[ The fact that my message was offlist aside... ]

I don't doubt Sam at all but even the best of organizations or the best of tech clue and the worst of sales clue can bring nefarious users into an otherwise whitehat colo/isp/whatever.

Also, from a research standpoint I'm curious as to why this organization thinks they need ARIN IP space to do what they do. Most of us know that's probably not true. I keep pretty close tabs on ongoing research in network location based services, dns mapping, online advertising, etc. I just smell BS or something really new and unique and am curious in either case.

There is some good research going on in this space though (location based determinations):
        http://www.coralcdn.org/oasis/ (presenting at CodeCon)
        http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/egs/Meridian/
        just to name a couple...

-davidu