nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best practices inquiry: tracking SSH host keys

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:43:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, David W. Hankins wrote:

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:07:33PM -0700, Allen Parker wrote:
Why not, on a regular basis, use ssh-keyscan and diff or something
similar, to scan your range of hosts that DO have ssh on them (maybe
--snip-200-words-or-less---

_wow_.

That's a massive "why not just" paragraph.  I can only imagine how
long a paragraph you'd write for finding and removing ex-employee's
public keys from all your systems.

So, here's my "why not just":

      Why not just use Kerberos?

apparently kerberos scares people... I'm not sure I 'get' that, but :( A
corp security group once for a long time 'didnt believe in kerberos',
some people 'get it' some don't :(