nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 @ NANOG

From: "Per Heldal" <heldal () eml cc>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:07:22 +0100

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:17:26 +0100, "Iljitsch van Beijnum"
<iljitsch () muada com> said:

On 4-mrt-2006, at 14:07, Kevin Day wrote:

[snip]

Unless we start now working on getting people moved to IPv6, the
pain of running out of IPv4 before IPv6 has reached critical mass
is going to be much much worse than a long term problem of IPv6
route size.

I disagree. You assume that IPv6 will be able to gain critical mass
before IPv4 addresses run out. I don't think that will happen,
because of the chicken/egg problem. "Running out" is a relative term.
John Klensin says we've effictively already run out because IPv4
addresses are too hard to get for some applications. That may be true
but people aren't turning to IPv6 (yet) to run those applications. My
prediction is that we'll see interesting things happen when the
remaining IPv4 address suppy < 3 * addresses used per year. That will
probably happen around the end of this decade. At that point, there
is likely to be hoarding and/or the allocation policies will become
stricter, and people will start to think about a future where it's no
longer possible to get IPv4 addresses. At this point, there will
still be time to migrate.

Doesn't the above disagreement indicate that IPv6 is incomplete until a
workable locator/id-split is implemented?

If so, why bother with operational policies and deployment beyond what
is of experimental nature necessary to facilitate further development?

//per
--
  Per Heldal
  http://heldal.eml.cc/