nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP compliance < LEAs - tech and logistics [was: snfc21 sniffer docs]

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:22:59 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2006 05:39:26 -0500 (CDT), Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
wrote:

Wired posted what are suppossedly the docs Mark Klein wrote 'bout the
NSA sniffing project.  Interesting read...

http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/att_klein_wired.pdf

John

Indeed. To be honest, I am more interested in NANOG-related operational
issues involved, which I am not sure many here will be able to discuss in
case they had experience on the subject. So let us put privacy and legal
issues aside for the purpose of this discussion.

How does a service provider handle the requirement to meet a law
enforcement agency with their wiretapping needs? The logistics and
technology can be exerting, annoying and business-wise, even prohibiting.

In the US, see 18 USC 2518(4):

        Any provider of wire or electronic communication service,
        landlord, custodian or other person furnishing such facilities or
        technical assistance shall be compensated therefor by the
        applicant for reasonable expenses incurred in providing such
        facilities or assistance.