nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Neighbor maximum-prefix" option on routers

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:31:36 -0800

Ricardo V. Oliveira wrote:

Hi all,

I was wondering what's the common practice among ISPs regarding the "neighbor maximum-prefix" option in Cisco and Juniper routers? By default this option is disabled in both Cisco and Juniper boxes, but was wondering if anyone in this list already configured it?

We use it facing customers, typically set to about double the number of prefixes that we expect to see from them, configured to restart in 10 minutes. This is a sanity check should they try to send us a full table or similar broken behavior. Route-maps and filter-lists are in place as well. Towards our backbone peers from whom we expect full routes I just bumped it to 300,000. I thought 200K routes would be plenty but we're getting pretty close to that. To the best of my knowledge we've never actually hit the limit in a live traffic scenario, but I've labbed it and it works, at least on Cisco boxes.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net