nanog mailing list archives

RE: Multiple BGP Routes in FIB

From: "Tony Li" <tli () tropos com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:58:41 -0700

What you see in BGP is not necessarily what you get for
actual routing.
This isn't the only situation where advertisements do not
match actual
routing.  Consider traffic engineering systems such as the
Internap FCP (old
NetVMG).  Imagine I have two upstreams (A and B) and you
advertise a /20.  I
might prefer path A for your /20.  However, my traffic
engineering system
may inject a no-export /24 route into my network to shift a
portion of your
traffic to go out my upstream B.

This is quite interesting/confusing from the customer
perspective, where you
only see the BGP path through upstream A advertised, yet in
reality a /24
out of that /20 is going through a completely different path
that you do not
see via BGP.

Is this wrong/evil?  I guess that is up to each network to decide.

This situation subverts BGP's basic loop prevention mechanism.  If the
/20 is ever deaggragated into more specifics, a forwarding loop may
result.

If you want to put rounds in the chamber before pointing the muzzle at
your temple, you're free to do so.  However, some of us would prefer to
stand a long way away.

Tony