nanog mailing list archives

RE: ARIN sucks?

From: "David Temkin" <dave () rightmedia com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:56:47 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Hank Nussbacher
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:56 AM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: ARIN sucks?

All our experiences consulting our clients about how to get their AS
and Subnets have been pretty easy and fast.

First get enought IP from 2 Peer to justify at least a /21;

Now that you have 2 Peer, request the AS and a Subnet from ARIN;

Take a day or 2 to prepare the paperwork;

Submit it in the right sequence to ARIN;

And LISTEN to your ARIN rep, they know how the procedure
must be done
and will help your get it done correctly.

Simple really.

It is indeed simple if you know what needs to be done and
what is expected.  Even in your case above you mislead people
into thinking that one can "request the AS and a Subnet from
ARIN".  After setting up the various POCs (step #1), step #2
is getting an ORG.  Step #3 is requesting the IP space and
*not* the ASN.  One can't get an ASN from ARIN *until* you
have IP space.  Once you are authorized by ARIN for the IP
space, one has to pay ARIN (step #4).  One can pay online via
credit card, which for large organizations can sometimes be a
problem.  In addition, ARIN doesn't accept American Express.
Therefore, step #4 might very well involve cutting a check
and Fedex'ing it to ARIN and waiting till they process it.
Step #5, which can be done in parallel to step #4 is getting
the ARIN Registration Service Agreement signed by your legal
department.  Once again, depending on the size of your
organization, this might take anywhere from 1-3 weeks.  Step
#6 is the ASN request.  In order to do that one needs to
submit a signed copy of the two contracts one has with their
upstreams (to justify the ASN).  Once again, these contracts
might be buried in legal, need to be found and scanned and
sent to ARIN before the ASN request can be processed.  Step
#7 is paying for the ASN either online or by check (see step
#4 above).

Those that stated the process to get IP and ASN from ARIN
would be a week or so, might be referring to very small
organizations (even there I am a bit skeptical).  My
experience was that IP assignment took about a month and ASN
took about a month.

Regards,
Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il

Which just goes to show you that everyone's experience is different.
I've gotten various IP space as well as ASN's over the past couple of
years and none has taken any more than a week.

Also, you're incorrect on the process.  You can definitely get an ASN
without IP space.

-Dave