nanog mailing list archives

Re: Router / Protocol Problem

From: Robert E.Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:43:45 -0400

Michael.Dillon () btradianz com writes:

Network operator discovers that measures taken to mitigate
an old network security measure, long past their sell-by
date, are now causing random grief. Seems to me like
bang on topic for NANOG.

Agreed.  Rare that people do haircuts on router configs; they're
tedious and can not be delegated to an intern or someone else who
doesn't have historical context.  I just cut a config by half by
removing unused ACLs, and even that is fairly painful.

What other such temporary mitigating
measures are still in place long after the danger has passed. (?)

It's been almost nine and a half years and was a short-lived problem,
but I'll betcha that an announcement from AS 7007 will have
reachability problems to a measurable fraction of the Internet.  That
would make a kind of cool experiment.  Vinny, you listening?

                                        ---Rob