nanog mailing list archives

Re: "2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:10:03 -0400

bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 06:48:43PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, David Conrad wrote:

For a few more months. What are upgrade cycles like again? How common are the MSFC2s?
I think we'll find out in a few months, when the "internet breaks" in a whole bunch of places where the admins aren't aware of this issue or operations have been downsized to the point that things are mostly on auto-pilot. I'm guessing there are a good number of Sup2's in use, and that a good % of them think they're fine...as they have 512MB RAM and on the software based routers, that's plenty for current full BGP routes.

        private replies suggest (w/ lots of handwaving) that perhaps 20-35%
        of the forwarding engines in use might fit this catagory.

Anyone want to bet there will be people posting to nanog and cisco-nsp in a few months asking why either the CPU load on their Sup2's has suddenly shot up or why they keep noticing parts of the internet have gone unreachable?...oblivious to this thread.

        that would be a sucker bet

If Cisco could ship enough units when asked, I'd say their next couple of quarters are in the bag... but since they have such huge lead times..... well, I am guessing a lot of people will start considering taking partial routes.

Transit providers would do well to have a distribute-list or similar configured to offer these guys when they call rather than trying to engineer something on an ICB basis.

Deepak