nanog mailing list archives

Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:37:06 -0400

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:13:03 EDT, "Steven M. Bellovin" said:

1) ICMP is handled at the same rate as TCP/UDP packets in all the
routers involved (so there's no danger of declaring a path "slow"
when it really isn't, just becase a router slow-pathed ICMP).

This is aimed at hosts, not routers, right?  As far as I know, routers
don't slow-path forwarded ICMP.  Hosts will probably reply to ICMP from
their kernel, so it's a faster response than a user-level DNS reply.

Well, they don't *directly* slow-path it.  But we've seen *plenty* of cases
of "multi-hop performance as indicated by ICMP Echo Request/Reply doesn't at
all match throughput/latency as indicated by TCP-level stats" mentioned on
this list...