nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:51:14 -0500

In a message written on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:27:13AM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
100% of the DHCP functionality). But apart from that, some of the
choices made along the way make DHCPv6 a lot harder to use than DHCP
for IPv4. Not only do you lack a default gateway (which is actually a
good thing for fate sharing reasons) but also a subnet prefix length
and any extra on-link prefixes. So even if you do address
configuration with DHCPv6 you need RAs for that other information.

I would note, it's not too late to fix these problems.  We don't
have wide spread IPv6 deployment yet, and I can't imagine it's all
that hard to send a default gateway in DHCPv6, for example.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request () tmbg org, www.tmbg.org