nanog mailing list archives

Re: Every incident is an opportunity (was Re: Hackers hit key Internet traffic computers)

From: Dave Pooser <dave.nanog () alfordmedia com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:49:30 -0600

He was both right and wrong -- patches do break a lot of stuff.  He was
facing two problems: the probability of being off the air because of an
attack versus the probability of being off the air because of bad
interactions between patches and applications.  Which is a bigger risk?

That's an argument for an organizational test environment and testing
patches before deployment, no? Not an argument against patching. That said,
I would LOVE to see MS ship a monthly/quarterly unified updater that's a
one-step way to bring fresh systems up to date without slipstreaming the
install CD. Then press a zillion of 'em and put them everywhere you can find
an AOL CD, for all those folks on dial-up who see a 200MB download and curl
up in the fetal position and whimper.

It's not an easy question to answer.  One scenario that scares me is
what happens if the April Patch Tuesday takes out, say, TurboTax, just
as Americans are getting ready to file their tax returns.

<cynic mode>
No need to worry about that until MS TaxForm starts shipping.
</cynic mode>
--
Dave Pooser, ACSA
Manager of Information Services