nanog mailing list archives

Re: what the heck do i do now?

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:44:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Scott Weeks wrote:

-------- froomkin () law miami edu wrote:---------------
From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>

As an, ahem, lawyer, I think what you do and how you do it matter a lot
Pulling a plug after reasonable/lots of warnings (did you miss anyone? how
do you know for sure?) is on the safer end of the legal spectrum.

Matters a lot? In what country's legal spectrum? Or did you assume the queries are US-based only? Or are you suggesting he treat US-based queries differently than the rest of the world? Or are you speaking from US-centric tunnel vision?

scott

Indeed, I was thinking of the US system, since

(1) that's what I know well, and

(2) it has the most trigger happy plaintiff's lawyers (although in my experience, jurors tend to take their responsibilities very seriously, contrary to what someone earlier in the thread suggested), and

(3) Vixie is AFAIK located in the US, meaning that he'd be susceptible to suit here. It's not so obvious he could be sued elsewhere on these facts although I can't rule it out; even if he were, the court might decide choice-of-law dictated US law anyway.

Despite the above, it's of course right to ask what foreign legal systems might say about this. Alas, I can't answer the question, except to say that in matters of commerce the answers often do tend to converge.

[I think it's time to go back to lurking...]

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin () law tm