nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comment spammers chewing blogger bandwidth like crazy

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:08:35 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Tony Finch wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Peter Corlett wrote:

For the benefit of those of us who have been lucky to Recover from ISP work
and now herd blogs, would you be so kind as to share which blacklists are
worthwhile and worth consulting on this front?

I would expect the lists of compromised hosts to be fairly effective -
open proxies of various kinds and perhaps botnet hosts. As for SMTP the
blacklists would only be a starting point that either provide a cheap
preliminary check or feed a more sophisticated filtering system.

Honestly, the more advanced we get we still can't get a hold on this
issue. Imagine you run a blog services web site, and each blog gets
between 1000 and 1,000,000 comment spams a day. Or even just one blog with
several thousand such.

Advanced systems based on "time on page", "direct to post link", capctahs,
Javascript captchas or challenges, URL in name, URL in DATA, # OF URLs,
etc. are all fine scoring rules, add to that a DNSBL and you will be fine
to a level... until next week.

There are quite a bit of botnets involves, but a lot of "mass-mailers" are
still in this business.

This is not very NANOG relevant and I feel I contributed enough on the
subject (unless the membership keeps responding), but it is a very serious
issue. There is a mailing list dedicated to this subject, you can ping me
off list if you are interested in the topic.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTH UTSIRE: NORTHWEST BACKING SOUTHWEST 6 TO GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE