nanog mailing list archives

Re: HTML email, was Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:59:56 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:05:25AM -0800, Matthew Black wrote:
[snip]
This presupposes that corporations have a more significant claim
to domain names than individuals.

Wrong; that kind of policy does -and did when enforced back in
the InterNIC days when the generic TLDs were meaningful- no such
thing.

Does anybody recall the fiasco
between ETOY.COM and ETOYS.COM? The former was created by an artist
years before the now defunct toy retailer. ETOYS' corporate bullying
took away the artist's longstanding domain claiming it might confuse
consumers.

Wrong again; etoy won. I'm sure I'm not alone for having my copy
of the toywar soundtrack and share[s].

That is the real problem.

Post-NSF, the failure of a distributed directory naturally lead
to the dns & whois being treated as one.  In hindsight, any
managed list wasn't what was needed, but certainly seemed natual
to ma bell. A more dynamic, less-intermediated service *was*
needed and the collective we worked around the problem,
unfortunately pushing it down into the infrastructure.  The
thing that rankles me most is that is where it frankly shouldn't
*matter*, but there was this great hammer so naturally 'we' could
pound the nail...

Phishing problems will not be corrected without multinational
[snip]

...reputation clearinghouses, one of the many drums long beaten
by the anti-spam and general anti-abuse camp, is the answer. Like
the other such drums before it, folks will listen well after it
is too late and only after it directly affects them.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE