nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

From: Ian Mason <nanog () ian co uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:47:32 +0000

On 25 Jan 2007, at 04:41, Larry Beaulieu wrote:

The other thing I found interesting; The use of Zip Ties on Copper Cabling
is frowned upon by BICSI.  Velcro preferred.

Something to do with the compression on a twisted-pair cable caused by
over-tight nylon cable ties screwing with their twist rates, and thus
changing their Crosttalk characteristics...

Yep.

For starters, the stuff that Dan Mahoney is looking for is properly known as waxed linen lacing cord. In a past life I used to order the stuff made by Ludlow Textiles through Graybar, their part # back then was 89039323. It's
not always in stock in individual stores.

[snip]

Lacing is a lot slower than using platic ties, and doing it is rough on your fingers. If you're lucky you know a data tech who can show you how to do it properly, it's really not something that you can just describe in writing.

The UK avionics industry used to (and may still) use thin PVC tube for lacing - kind of like thin insulated wire without the wire. It's got several advantages:-

1) Much kinder on the fingers
2) It stretches, which:-
   a) minimises the risk of overtightening it
b) the elasticity keeps it snug, it doesn't work loose over time as easily
3) it doesn't rot

And yes, I am old enough to know how to do it. But I disagree with Randy (what's new)
I'm more of a Techosaur than a Telephant.

Ian