nanog mailing list archives

Re: some musings on PI v. PA

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:52:55 -0700

David Meyer wrote:
        OTOH, if I announce PI space, "switching to the new path"
        is controlled by the announcement/withdrawal of the PI
        prefix, and can happen much closer to the source. So in
        this sense aggregation breaks a certain kind of "path
        selection". I think we all realize that there is no free
        lunch, and that this is a property (such as it is) of the
        fact that aggregation throws away information in the
interest of computability (a standard technique).
        So folks are using PI for reasons other than the
        well-known standard laundry list. In particular,
        advertising PI space can cause the "switch" to an
        alternate path during an outage to happen much closer to
        the source and some providers find this to be a desirable
        property.

        I am interested in hearing about anyone who is relying on
        this property of PI, or any other comments on what I've
        said above.

I always thought that *was* one of the major reasons to use PI space - no aggregation of your space into another announcement. Not having to renumber is ancillary to me.

~Seth