nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo outage summary

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:47:42 -0400

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:18:25 -0000, "Chris L. Morrow" said:

While S*BGP seem like they may offer additional protections and additional
knobs to be used for protecting 'us' from 'them', the very basics are
obviously not being done so added complexity is not going to really help
:( Or, perhaps its not that its not going to help its just not going to
get done because even prefix-lists are 'too hard', apparently.

"Wow, prefix-lists are *hard*" -- BGP Barbie..

You'd think that by now, we as an industry could do better than that.

(Yes, I know the jury is still out on what really happened at L3-Hanaro.
Doesn't change the fact that we collectively shoot ourselves in the foot
because providers will believe the most implausible things from their
neighbors, like announcements for 128/1 ;)