nanog mailing list archives

Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:18:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 alex () pilosoft com wrote:
OK, so, do you officially declare the emergency? Should we all block the

This is an emergecy incident on the scale of WMF, but no, it is indeed
being handled. I am raising the flag on an ever increasing problem with
DNS.

This latest incident illustrates some of our operational problems with the
security of the Internet.

domains listed on http://isc.sans.org/, is that an authoritative site of
botnet hunters? If so, there are couple of surprises for you.
baidu.com listed there is a chinese equivalent of google, who'd get very
upset if its domain name got "revoked". Similarly, alexa.com.

There needs to be due process for these actions. And once we close this
vector, I'm sure that botnets will simply migrate away from DNS to some
other protocol.

YOu shouldn't confuse TCP/IP for the control channel of the botnets which
is IRC, HTTP, etc.

DNS is not going anywhere, patch for the hosts file or not.

-alex