nanog mailing list archives

Re: How Not to Multihome

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:01:40 -0400

On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

There are currently ~1500 prefixes with inconsistent origin AS.
These are trivially identifiable:

   <http://www.cymru.com/BGP/incon_asn_list.html>

Some of them are obvious mistakes (I doubt HKSuper is supposed to
originate 4/8).  But many of them are not, and the Internet works
just fine.

And as Justin said, some sizable fraction of those 1500 prefixes are
quite possibly *appearing* to Work Just Fine currently, but if something
breaks, that will be 1500 NOC monkeys facing some difficult-to-debug
routing issues....

Considering the number of inconsistently originated prefixes has been non-trivial for at least a decade, I have trouble believing this is a huge threat to the internet. Or even those 1500 NOC monkeys. (And wouldn't it be 3K - at least 2 ASNs per prefix? :)

--
TTFN,
patrick