nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misguided SPAM Filtering techniques

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:32:16 -0500

Owen DeLong wrote:

The issue is the increasingly high percentage of internet connections which are becoming broken. So far, the only "justification" for this behavior posted is the inability of the folks in Redmond to deliver non-broken software such that a large enough fraction of portable machines are able to "credential hijack" from stored
credentials on the machine and impersonate the operator while botted.

I really don't get it. While I understand with tcp/25 blocking, there is absolutely no reason to block tcp/587. If credential's are being hijacked, it is the responsiblity of the MSA server to close the door. There's nothing to say those credentials weren't blasted to an irc server or a web script somewhere and the actual usage of them will be from some other random location on the net.

Jack Bates