nanog mailing list archives

RE: windows update cache

From: "Jason Gurtz" <jasongurtz () npumail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:45:59 -0400

Windows Software Update Services doesn't require the end-user to be
part of a domain to get updates. You just need to define the WSUS server
as
the source for updates by changing a few registry entries and make
sure the server is available via HTTP or HTTPS to your customers. You
can
read more at Microsoft's site.

Even though you can make it work, I believe you will be running afoul of
the WSUS Lic. agreement if it's not a corporate LAN/Domain.  I don't have
the text of it in front of me, but I remember this issue coming up on
<nntp://microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services>

Since automating clients to use wsus requires either a registry or
local/group policy change on the clients, you would have to find some way
of manipulating this facet as well.

I would say the best course is to contact the wsus/mu team via the above
mentioned newsgroup and see if they'll become more cache friendly with a
future version of wsus.  The squid trick seems ideal if only you could be
assured of having the latest files.

~JasonG