nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:44:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:
As far as I am concerned the killer application for IP multicast is
*NOT* video, it's market data feeds from NYSE, NASDAQ, CBOT, etc.

You can go compare the relative successes of Yahoo! Finance and YouTube.

While it might be nice to multicast that sort of data, it's a relative
trickle of data, and I'll bet that the majority of users have not only
not visited a market data site this week, but have actually never done
so.

As if most financial (and other mega-dataset) data was on consumer Web
sites. Think pricing feeds off stock exchange back-office systems.

Oh, you got my point.  Good.  :-)

This isn't a killer application for IP multicast, at least not on the
public Internet.  High volume bits that are not busily traversing a hundred
thousand last-mile residential connections are probably not the bits that
are going to pose a serious challenge for network operators, or at least,
that's my take on things.

... JG