nanog mailing list archives

Re: RouterOS performance?

From: "Scott Francis" <darkuncle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:20:45 -0700

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net> wrote:
On 18/08/2008, at 12:16 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

haven't used routeros in a while but at the time it was inoffensive, it's
not derived from a general purpose system so it's not something you bolt
additional bits on if you need them.

RouterOS is Linux based.
You're correct though, you can't bolt extra stuff on to it, though I'm
pretty sure they do their own 'packages', so maybe 3rd parties can bolt
stuff on that way? I dunno.

I actually use freebsd as a router on soekris, but I do need a general
purpose os on the system as well.

I do this as well, works fantastically.

I've got some build scripts that build NET4x01 images. Kernel and root
filesystem in a single file, boot off a FAT32 formatted compact flash card
with GRUB installed on it. Config in a single file (a filesystem image that
gets mounted at boot time). IPv6 support.
[snip]

sounds a lot like Chris Cappuccio's flashdist[0], although that's
OpenBSD-specific.

(worth noting that I'm partial to OpenBSD here, for both the security
track record and tools like pf(4), carp(4), OpenBGPD, etc.)

[0]http://www.nmedia.net/flashdist/
--
darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
 http://darkuncle.net/pubkey.asc for public key