nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

From: Mark Radabaugh <mark () amplex net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:55:54 -0500

The vast majority of our last-mile connections are fixed wireless. The design of the system is essentially half-duplex with an adjustable ratio between download/upload traffic. PTP heavily stresses the upload channel and left unchecked results in poor performance for other customers. Bandwidth quotas don't help much since it just moves the problem to the 'start' of the quota time. Hard limits on upload bandwidth help considerably but do not solve the problem since only a few dozen customers running a steady 256k upload stream can saturate the channel. We still need a way to shape the upload traffic.

It's easy to say "put up more access points, sectors, etc.) but there are constraints due to RF spectrum, tower space, etc.

Unfortunately there are no easy answers here. The network (at least ours) is designed to provide broadband download speeds to rural customers. It's not designed and is not capable of being a CDN for the rest of the world. I would be much happier creating a torrent server at the data center level that customers could seed/upload from rather than doing it over the last mile. I don't see this working from a legal standpoint though.

--

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex