nanog mailing list archives

RE: Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

From: Donald Stahl <don () calis blacksun org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:30:09 -0500 (EST)

The only place in which people have noted that there is a possibility
of running out of bits in the existing IPv6 addressing hierarchy
is when they look at a model where every residential customer gets
a /48. In that scenario there is a possibility that we might runout
in 50 to 100 years from now.
Is it even a possibility then? A /48 to everyone means 48 bits left over for the network portion of the address.

That's 281,474,976,710,656 /48 customer networks. It's 16 million times the number of class C's in the current IPv4 Internet. Am I just not thinking large or long term enough?

-Don