nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () catpipe net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:53:38 +0200

Matthew Petach (mpetach) writes:
If they simply use "smtp" as the hostname, most of the
current resolver libraries will append the local domain
name, so that instead of reaching my A record for smtp,
they'll end up trying to reach smtp.their.domain.

        Actually, that's a good point -- although it will try first with
        the domains specified in the search list first.

        So I wouldn't worry too much about this kind of thing.

        But considering the amount of flag waving and "Caution: Wet
        Floor" signs ICANN placed when it rolled out something has
        harmless as the IDN tests in the root, I'm surprised that they
        haven't thought about all the non-FQDNs that will suddenly
        resolve, including all the private TLDs that people use
        internally.  It's bad practice, and isn't recommended anyway,
        but I do expect it will cause many more fun (read: annoying)
        calls to helpdesks of the sort "where did my mail go ?".
        And mail won't be the only thing.

Will operating system manufacturers release updated
resolver libraries that no longer assume that single
token names should have the local domain attached?

        I know a lot of mail clients that won't accept to send
        mail to user@tld, but they certainly will accept user@smtp
        as the outgoing mail name.  Luckily, that will match the
        search list as well first.

Or should I always ensure that resolvers reach my
domain explicitly by including the trailing "dot" in
all uses, so that my email would be given out as
"myname@smtp." in the hopes that everyone would
correctly remember to add the "." at the end when
entering my email address into their mail clients?

        A fair number will barf on this (for now).

Or does the current resolver logic already handle
these cases (check root, work your way down
stopping at the first match found; if you run out
of tokens in the string being resolved, append the
local domain name to the string and start the process
over)?

        The other way around.  And if I ping 'dk', my resolver
        stops after "catpipe.net" and my other private domain.
        It doesn't try "dk.", even though dk. has an A record
        associated with it.  I get NXDOMAIN.

Simply looking to solidify my understanding of how
these new names would resolve.

        Not too many problems, I think, except for resolver
        libraries that fail to find the name in the domains
        listed in the search list, and continue to '.'.

        It's not standard practice though.

        Phil