nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] US DoD receives chunked IPv6 /13 (14x /22 but not totally consecutive)

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:22:54 -0400

<apply hip waders>
Please keep the political rhetoric off-list, thanks.
</apply hip waders>

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org> wrote:
Hi folks,

As everybody is a big fan of securing their networks against foreign
attacks, be aware that the US DoD has been assigned 14 /22's, IPv6 that
is, not IPv4, they all come from a single IPv6 /13 though, which is what
they apparently asked for in the beginning, at least that was the rumor,
well they got what they wanted.

So, someone else pointed out that the DoD isn't one org, really. There
are several groups/orgs under DoD, there are several groups nested
under each of those groups, and depending upon the network
architecture/topology used it's fully possible that one route
announcement isn't practical for this Org.

What I think we should worry about is a larger portion of that Org
with a large enough part of one of the  /22's doing something silly
like: "redistribute connected" ... (which they could, of course, have
done with any/all of their /8's -> /16's in ipv4 as well...)

-Chris