nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] IOS rootkits

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:54:27 -0700

Gadi Evron wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2008, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Dragos Ruiu wrote:

First of all about prevention, I'm not at all sure about this being
covered by existing router security planning / BCP.
I don't believe most operators reflash their routers periodically, nor
check existing images (particularly because the tools for this
integrity verification don't even exist). If I'm wrong about this I
would love to be corrected with pointers to the tools.

I have 6 years worth of rancid logs for every time the reported number
of blocks in use on my flash changes, I imagine others do as well.
That's hardly the silver bullet however.

We as I imagine others do expended a fair amount of cycles monitoring
who it is that our routers are talking to and protecting the integrity
of the communications channels that they use (bgp, ospf, ssh, tftp etc),
If a router has a tcp connection to someplace it shouldn't we'll
probably know about it. If it's announcing a prefix it shouldn't be,
we'll probably know about it, those are the easy ones though.

I am very happy to hear you do these... very useful and will catch quite
a bit.

There are some things one might consider adding in terms of auditing,
comparing the running image more closely to the one in flash for
example, peroidic checksum of the on onflash image, after downloading to
another host would be another. I'm not sure that I'd trust the later
given the rooted box can I suppose hand you an unmodified version of the
subverted image.

The result from your check can easily be modified, first thing I would
have changed is the checker.

That is a normal thing to do with rootkits (return bogus results). Which
is part of the reason I suggested that method I did. Short of pulling
the flash you're not going to get a fully unbiased view of what's it on
it thusly the audit process has some limitations.

A TCPA style boot process would be a better approach. It's certainly not
a quick fix since it in general can't be retrofited to existing products.

Say you did this from a usb stick--I'd just
hide the rootkit in memory.

In the end if you subvert a router, presumably you're doing it for a
purpose and given what the device does, that purpose is probably
detectable in a well instrumented network.

Subversion may not be the goal. A router is perfect for faking outgoing
traffic. This traffic can contain stolen sniffed or relayed  data.

If my device is now taking marching orders from a third party then by
definition it is subverted, regardless of agency or activity.

sub verte - turn from under