nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint / Cogent

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:23:12 -0600 (CST)

This wasn't the first time Cogent offered something similar.  They did the
same thing when Level3 depeered them.

And they'll do it to others in future peering spats.  It's just a bullying
tactic - entertaining if you're on the sideline; irritating if you're Sprint.

It is certainly not "just" a bullying tactic.  It may be "A" bullying
tactic, I won't even attempt to guess at the intent, but the tactic also
has the very real side effect of re-establishing full connectivity to
Sprint-connected sites that lose it.

Given that other very significant result of the tactic, it is clearly not
"just a bullying tactic."

... JG