nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco uRPF failures

From: Saku Ytti <saku+nanog () ytti fi>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:11:28 +0300

On (2008-09-11 00:50 -0700), Jo Rhett wrote:

As someone who does a lot of work talking to NOCs trying to chase down
attack sources, I can honestly tell you that I haven't talked to a
single NOC in the last 16 months who had BCP38 on every port, or even on
most of their ports.  And the majority response is "our (vendor) gear
can't handle it".   As we both know, Cisco is the largest by far vendor
in the marketplace, and I've heard that name more than 70% of the time.

Sound like these shops are using 3550 as router, which is common for
smaller shops, especially in EU. And indeed, 3550 would not do uRPF.
(3560E does).

--
  ++ytti