nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S.

From: Jean-François Mezei <jfmezei () vaxination ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:16:26 -0400

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

Most Asian providers (at least Northern Asia) use USA, Atlantic path to
get to Europe.  The capacity going Westt isn't that high in comparision,
so the extra latency hit is well offset by the much reduced cost.

I take it voice would have priority for use of the existing europe-asian
links ?

When there were a number of cable cuts in middle east last year, I
remember BBC mentioning that internet access to asia was much slowed due
(this was significant to those companies who had outsourced a lot of
stuff from europe to India). I guess this would have been more of media
hype than reality ?

For instance, out of Australia we have a single, old cable going West
out of Perth to Singapore (SEA-ME-WE3) which allows only low speed
circuits,

Was there any thought about building cables to singapore from darwin now
that it has had fibre links to the rest of australia for over a decade ?