nanog mailing list archives

Re: Beware surfers: cyberspace is filling up

From: Stefan <netfortius () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:42:35 -0500

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Stefan <netfortius () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net> wrote:

Stefan wrote:

hmmm ...

http://www.networkperformancedaily.com/2009/04/so_this_is_what_the_australian.html

Hmmm. "that leased lines and private WANs that your company can monitor and
control from end to end make it easier to retain and improve network
performance than relying on the Internet"

Are 10G leased lines (or even 1G) and private WANs common these days without
using MPLS or some form of resource shared with Internet traffic? And what
is the point without the ability to communicate with others? I thought we
were well past isolated networks.

-Jack

The point of the blog I quoted was that things are not only black, or
only white (as some have been tempted to judge - i.e. completely
bashing the original article). To your point - we need to communicate
with others (Internet - non QoS ...), of course, but the critical
production traffic runs for some on top of fully monitored (not
necessarily controlled!) networks ... still ...

--
***Stefan
http://twitter.com/netfortius

... and along the same line, but somehow parallel to the original conversation:

http://fora.tv/2009/04/15/Empowering_Internet_Users_Two_Ideas_to_Reshape_Broadband#Coming_Soon_Privately_Owned_Fiber_Optics_to_the_Home