nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon EVDO Issues

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:40:35 +1200

On 8/04/2009, at 10:27 PM, Alexander Harrowell wrote:
Do they maintain a continuous data link in normal operation (like, say, connectivity for a LAN, or backhaul for a camera or some such), or do they request the data link when they need to send [whatever] (like a discrete SCADA system)? My (user only) experience is that cellular data service doesn't
handle long sessions well.

I've had great success with it. We have done live audio streaming over IP through a cellular service before. 64kbps ogg encoding.

About 7 or so hours in one session.

We used to do a cheap live broadcast from an outdoor event for a radio station.

--
Nathan Ward