nanog mailing list archives

Verizon EVDO issues

From: Alexander Harrowell <a.harrowell () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:06:29 +0100

On Thursday 09 April 2009 15:31:10 Daniel Senie wrote:
On Apr 9, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

Interesting.  When I got my Sprint EVDO card (u727) a year and a half
ago, they were pretty nasty about gunning down (bidirectional spoofed
RST coming out of the middle of the network somewhere) any TCP
sessions that were idle for ten minutes or more.

We observe this same kind of behavior with firewalls in the path
watching for dead sessions they can clean up. Appears they send RSTs
to both end points when they decide a session has gone away, as
that'll let end hosts figure it out sooner. Same workaround of turning
on keep=alives once a minute solves this too. The behavior in the case
of firewalls makes sense, as state tables have to be cleaned up
eventually.

The UMTS world has a lower-layer protocol called HARQ in the radio air
interface which functions a little like TCP; the idea is to detect dropped
packets on the radio link and retransmit them before the TCP interval times
out, thus providing faster recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a
similar mechanism to police the use of spectrum; and a lot of mobile operators
see "Internet" as an application. Somewhere around I have the incredibly long
referral string Vodafone sent my blog server not long after they started real
Internet service; a Squid, a Novarra, a 724 Solutions machine of some sort,
and I think something else too.