nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Re: Fiber cut in SF area

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 22:01:14 -0400

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:
On Saturday 11 April 2009 08:31:55 Joe Greco wrote:
Speaking of that, a manhole cover is
typically protecting some hole, accessway, or vault that's made out of
concrete.

An oxyacetylene torch or a plasma cutter will slice through regular steel
manhole covers in minutes.

Yes, but we were discussing locked covers, which (given the underlying
assumptions of this discussion) might be a bit heavier.  Further, it would
be vaguely suspicious and more noticeable for a "road crew" or "power
company" truck to be deploying such gear, might draw more attention.

Cop: 'What are you fellows doing there with the torch?"
Me: "Us? Oh yea.... some dipstick plugged up our lock here with epoxy,
our quick solution cause of the outage is to cut the lock/blah off
with a torch, bummer, eh? I hate dipsticks..."
Cop: "Cool, have a good night!"

:(

The locking covers I have seen here put the lock(s) on the inside cover cam
jackscrew (holes through the jackscrew close to the inside cover seal rod
nut), rather than on the outside cover, thus keeping the padlocks out of the
weather.

More expense.  :-)

and complexity
and parts to lose
and people to have away during normal outage repairs
and ... :( fail.

Requires a certain atmosphere of distrust, unfortunately.  And slows repairs
way down, especially if the 833's key is lost....

Certainly it is *possible* to do it, but given the other variables, does
it make *sense*?

Consider what I was saying about just going to town with a backhoe.  You
have a lot to protect.

and I also would ask.. what's the cost/risk here? 'We' lost at best
~1day for some folks in the outage, nothing  global and nothing
earth-shattering... This has happened (this sort of thing) 1 time in
how many years? Expending $$ and time and people to go 'put padlocks
on manhole covers' seems like spending in the wrong place...

(yes, I agree also that simply dropping into a manhole with an
axe/hacksaw is pretty simple to do, it's also just about impossible to
realisitcally protect against)

-Chris